Matthew D. Vodzak
Three Logan Square
1717 Arch Street, Suite 1310
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Pennsylvania State University (B.A., with distinction, 2007), Phi Beta Kappa
- The Pennsylvania State University, Dickinson School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude 2010), Research Editor, Penn State Law Review
- New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- The Honorable Victor P. Stabile, Superior Court of Pennsylvania
- Court of Common Pleas for the 39th Judicial District
Matthew Vodzak is a partner in the firm’s Philadelphia office. He is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. He specializes in complex legal matters, including insurance coverage and appeals with an emphasis on risk transfer. In addition to his appellate and insurance coverage experience, Mr. Vodzak also handles the defense of clients in catastrophic general liability matters and catastrophic injury cases.
Mr. Vodzak has litigated cases in both federal and state courts in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Mr. Vodzak has handled appeals in the Pennsylvania Superior, Commonwealth and Supreme Courts, as well as the Delaware Supreme Court. In 2019, Mr. Vodzak successfully litigated an appeal in the Delaware Supreme Court, in which he represented a construction subcontractor who defeated indemnification claims in a wrongful-death and survival lawsuit.
Before joining FHMS, Mr. Vodzak served as a law clerk for the Honorable Victor P. Stabile, Superior Court of Pennsylvania and as a law clerk for the Honorable Richard J. Walsh (Ret.), Court of Common Pleas for the 39th Judicial District. He began working for FHMS as an associate in August 2015.
As an undergraduate, Mr. Vodzak was a Schreyer Honors College University Scholar at the Pennsylvania State University (2007). He was selected to Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s most prestigious academic honor society. In law school, he was a member of the Woolsack Honor Society at the Pennsylvania State University, Dickinson School of Law (2010), Research Editor of the Penn State Law Review, and an academic tutor. Mr. Vodzak was a member of the Penn State Civil Rights Appellate Clinic. The Clinic represented litigants and amici curiae, and drafted briefs filed in the Supreme Court of the United States and the federal courts of appeals.
Recent Published Decisions:
- Erie Insurance v. McCutcheon
- Newsuan v. Republican Services