William L. Thrall, III
2000 Market Street, Suite 550
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- George Washington University Law School – LL.M. in Trial Advocacy, Litigation and Dispute Resolution, with highest honors, 2005.
- Michigan State University College of Law – J.D., Cum Laude, 2001.
- Michigan State University – B.A. in Political Theory and Constitutional Democracy, 1997
- Pennsylvania, 2005
- New Jersey, 2005
- District of Columbia, 2003
- Michigan, 2002
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Michigan Bar Association
William L. Thrall, III focuses his practice on the defense of complex commercial, construction, product and general liability cases. His varied experience includes defending cases involving injury and/or property damage in a variety of environments. Mr. Thrall also has experience in handling premises liability and pharmacy malpractice cases.
Mr. Thrall has extensive experience in both federal and state courts. He handles major jury and arbitration cases from inception through trial, and routinely appears before private arbitrators and mediators throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey. He also has an active trial practice in Philadelphia and surrounding counties. His significant trial experience has resulted in numerous favorable results for his clients.
Clients have recognized Mr. Thrall’s successes both through trial results and in resolving cases short of trial. He has received two Golden Gavel awards from a client. This award recognizes outstanding achievement in case handling. Recently, Mr. Thrall was also recognized with a Blue Ocean OARS Award for early “resolution through innovation.” Mr. Thrall has consistently been recognized for his focus on resolving cases fairly, quickly and efficiently.
Mr. Thrall has regularly been named a “Pennsylvania Super Lawyer”. This award is given to no more than 5 percent of attorneys in Pennsylvania. Previously, he was selected for inclusion as a “Pennsylvania Super Lawyer – Rising Stars”, a listing which includes the top 2.5 percent of attorneys in the Commonwealth who are 40 years of age or younger or have been practicing for less than 10 years.
- Contested trip and fall case in Philadelphia County. Both liability and damages were contested. Plaintiff presented a seven-figure settlement demand. After a failed mediation, Thrall resolved an insurance coverage issue with the additional defendant and employer of Plaintiff, agreeing to their dismissal in exchange for a 45% contribution toward any settlement or verdict and payment of our insured’s legal fees and costs from tender through jury trial. Just before trial, a settlement offer of $100,000.00 was rejected, with a revised demand of $750,000.00. After a five day jury trial, the jury found for Plaintiff in the amount of $105,000 reduced by 33% comparative negligence. Post-Trial motions were filed and the case resolved for the amount of the jury award. Our insured paid only $57,500.00.
- Successful defense of bicycle vs. vehicle accident case that started as a Major Jury case in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas. Prior to trial, through an agreement with Plaintiff’s counsel, the case was remanded to the Compulsory Arbitration Program with an agreement that the results would be binding on all parties. Remanding the case to the Arbitration Program was a strategic move and streamlined the litigation process (saving both time and costs). By proving that Plaintiff’s inattentiveness caused the accident, Mr. Thrall secured a defense verdict for his client. Per the agreement with Plaintiff’s counsel, the verdict was not appealed.
- Defense verdict after three days of jury trial in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas. The case arose from Plaintiff’s purchase of a used motor vehicle from our insured – a large Philadelphia car dealership. Plaintiff alleged violations of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act and the Pennsylvania Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law stemming from her purchase of the subject vehicle. Specifically, Plaintiff alleged that the defendant car dealership attempted to defraud the Plaintiff by failing to disclose a prior accident and numerous alleged defects with the subject vehicle, as well as violations of specific warranties. Following evidence and testimony from several witnesses, including competing expert witnesses, the Jury returned a verdict in favor of the insured.
- Fair resolution of Traumatic Brain Injury claim where the case originally had a seven figure demand. The early reports led to the case getting to mediation quickly, where a resolution was reached without the need for extensive discovery.
- Defense verdict at trial representing major retail chain in claimed $1 million premises liability accident.
- Defense verdict at trial representing large residential and commercial property owner against claims of alleged negligence involving vicious dog attacks.
- Dismissal of client on Motion for Summary Judgment in case involving allegations of defective maintenance of large condominium complex.
- Successful resolution of numerous large premises liability and automobile liability claims on behalf of several landscaping/snow removal contractors.
- Defense verdict in an alleged rear end hit by our dump truck with significant claimed injuries and pre-trial demand of $250,000.